Code of Conduct
We believe our community should be one which is safe, secure, open and inclusive to all. As such, we are committed to providing a friendly, safe, and welcoming environment for all. This Code of Conduct outlines the expectations for anyone attending a Defcon Furs event, as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior. We invite everyone to help us maintain a safe, positive, and welcoming experience for everyone.
Scope & Applicability
The Code of Conduct, and all guidelines within it, applies to all attendees, media representatives, speakers, volunteers, organizers, venue staff, sponsors, and other guests (collectively referred to as “Participants”) of official Defcon Furs conference activities, social gatherings, and online social media forums and channels.
By participating in Defcon Furs activities, events, and/or online Defcon Furs resources, Participants accept the terms of the Code of Conduct, and agree to abide by them.
The Code of Conduct is available online at https://2019.dcfurs.com/code-of-conduct.php. Printed versions of the Code of Conduct will be made available at all official Defcon Furs events and activities, and links to the Code of Conduct will be supplied on all official Defcon Furs community forums and chat rooms.
Acceptable behavior includes, but is not limited to:
- Being considerate, respectful, and collaborative;
- Being awesome to one another;
- Refraining from demeaning, discriminatory or harassing behavior, material distribution, and speech;
- Being mindful of one’s surroundings and of one’s fellow participants;
- Respecting the property of Defcon Furs, our contracted venues, and that of other persons; and
- Obeying all officially-posted signs, placards, and Animal Control (event staff) instructions.
We have NO TOLERANCE for physical/verbal/sexual harassment of any human, humanoid, animal or AI!
Unacceptable behavior and materials include, but are not limited to:
- Intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory, or demeaning statements or conduct;
- Any offensive comments, contact or behavior (verbal, written, or otherwise) related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, or disability;
- Inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images or use without the express consent of all parties depicted;
- Posting of offensive materials;
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events (whether verbal or otherwise);
- Assembly for the purpose of, or resulting in, disturbance of the peace, any unlawful act;
- Destruction, theft, dismantlement, defacement, abuse, or intentional misuse of Defcon Furs or Defcon Furs-contracted venues, property, equipment, signage or supplies;
- Photography or recording without the consent of each person photographed or recorded and Defcon Furs; and
- Possession of a weapon, or use of any item in a way that may cause danger to others.
Alcohol & Other Substances
The following substance-related conduct is also prohibited:
- Excessive or irresponsible consumption of alcohol;
- Possession, sale, or use of any illicit or controlled substance other than under the prescription and supervision of a licensed physician;
- Except under the prescription and supervision of a licensed physician, marijuana and marijuana derived product possession, sale or use (marijuana is still illegal in public in both NV and CA);
- Providing or participating in the service of alcohol to anyone under the legal drinking age, in accordance with applicable laws and regulations; and
- Smoking, vaping or and e-cigarette use, except in designated areas.
- Defcon Furs-contracted venue providers reserve the right to further prohibit the use or possession of drugs (legal, prescription, or other), tobacco, or other substances on their property, per the terms of rental contract.
Unacceptable behavior will not be tolerated by attendees, media, speakers, volunteers, organizers, venue staff, or sponsors.
Any person who is subjected to unacceptable behavior, notices that someone else is being subjected to unacceptable behavior, or has concerns about the safety or security of Defcon Furs attendees or property is expected to notify an Animal Control staff member or conference organizer, as soon as possible. All reports will remain confidential, unless Defcon Furs has a legal responsibility to report an offense to outside authorities.
Animal Control will be available to help Participants contact venue security or local law enforcement, to provide escorts, or to otherwise assist those experiencing unacceptable behavior to feel safe for the duration of the conference.
Resolution of Issues
Any person asked to discontinue behavior that is in contravention of this policy must do so immediately.
If Defcon Furs determines, in its sole discretion, that anyone has engaged in unacceptable behavior, Defcon Furs organizers will take appropriate actions, up to and including expulsion from Defcon Furs conference activities, social gatherings, and online social media forums and channels. Any decision may be made by Defcon Furs with or without warning or refund, and Defcon Furs may contact relevant authorities, as it believes to be appropriate or required by law.
All determinations of appropriate or inappropriate behavior, and any consequences thereof, will be made at Defcon Furs’s sole discretion. The decision(s) of the Defcon Furs conference organizers are final.